Thursday, February 21, 2013

Backyard Bird Photography


Tufted Titmouse 
Source:  sgbrown

I love taking pictures of the birds that come to my house!  I have placed bird feeders just outside my windows so I can watch them up close. I keep black oil sunflower seeds in my small bird feeder and "scraps" in my larger bird feeder. The larger birds usually like corn and corn cobs, peanuts, old bread and they love my left over corn bread! Of course, I have a hummingbird feeder that I keep full of sugar water in the spring and summer for the hummingbirds

If you enjoy taking pictures of the birds that visit your house, I have included some tricks and tips to help you get better pictures of our feathered friends. 

Here are just a few of the pictures I have taken of "my" birds. 

Black Capped Chickadee



This was taken while I was standing outside on my back porch. I had just filled up the small bird feeder and they were "standing in line" waiting to get their turn. I didn't use a tripod, just steadied my elbows on the top of the table, held my breath and took the shot.

Male Bluebird
I have a black wrought iron plant stand that sits just a few feet away from my bird feeder. The birds love to sit on top of it while waiting for their turn at the feeder. This beautiful male blue bird seemed to think this was his spot most of the time. I took this picture through my living room window.


Male Cardinal

I don't really like to take pictures of the birds while they are on the bird feeder.  I want a more natural look in my photographs. Most of the time, if the birds are not on the feeder, they are up in the trees and not close enough to get a good picture, or there are leaves and tree limbs in the way.  The way I got around this was, I found an old dead tree limb and leaned it against the tree, fairly close to the feeder. I left a branch on the tree limb and arranged it so it would stick out to the side at about the same height as the feeder. Now as the birds come to the feeder, they will often land on this branch where I can get a good, clear shot of them.

Don't forget to check out my article with more detailed tips on Bird Photography in Your Own Backyard.

You May Also Enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment